Can you guess the names of the novels and the authors from the first lines?
Best First Lines to Novels
1. “What’s it going to be then, eh?”
2. I get the willies when I see closed doors.
3. Call me Ishmael.
4. In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.
5. Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
6. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
7. Mother died today.
8. All this happened, more or less.
9. It was a pleasure to burn.
10. The house was built on the highest part of land between the harbor and the open sea.
1. A Clockwork Orange -Anthony Burgess
2. Something Happened -Joseph Heller
3. Moby Dick -Herman Melville
4. The Great Gatsby -F. Scott Fitzgerald
5. One Hundred Years of Solitude -Gabriel Garcia Marquez
6. 1984 -George Orwell
7. The Stranger -Albert Camus
8. Slaughter-House Five -Kurt Vonnegut
9. Fahrenheit 451 -Ray Bradbury
10. Islands in the Stream -Ernest Hemingway